Friday, December 12, 2008

Be Professional

Alright, I apologize for singling out people (then why do it?!) but I wanted to use those examples to make a point.

Can you tell me which one is the original Bishop?


AM people can of course, but it doesn't matter how familiar you are with the rig, you can't deny how similar they all look. So why mention this? With a business like Animation Mentor I would assume that their assets are protected, so copyright issues will come up when you release a rig which looks like an AM rig. Since the creator is not charging money for it, I doubt he/she won't be in a lot of trouble besides a take-down notice, but remember, there is a fine line between innocent inspiration and rip off and I doubt that line even exists in the eye of the law.

So be professional and think about copyrights, don't copy other people's animation or ideas, etc. Besides the obvious legal implications, don't give anybody any reason to think that you are not creative. You should behave like a professional the moment you're intending to be an animator. Being a student doesn't mean that those laws don't apply to you.

This fall semester is soon over and many people are graduating and really feeling the pressure of finding a job. I always say "Do whatever it takes to get a job.", but by that I mean, be willing to set aside parties and other non-animation related activities for a while, be ready to work hard on your reel and don't be a snob when it comes to job offers (this goes especially for foreigners depending on a VISA). You'd love to work at a big company but are offered a position in a small animation shop instead? Take it. Don't be a snob. Be ready to eat a few sh*t-sandwiches before you hit the jackpot. That's what I mean with "whatever it takes". I don't mean to backstab other animators, stealing animation ideas or clips. I've seen it happen and you won't last long if you go that route. Even with the pressure that you're feeling now, don't get tempted.

So remember, be:


P.S.: How did I find this? I'm updating Animation Buffet with new rigs and the AM lookalike was on highend3d. Now I found another one. I don't know which one came first, but I have an idea. Either way, am I the only one who thinks this is the same model?


A lot of people mention that it's okay to modify and enhance their rigs, so this example might be harmless. I still had to laugh though when I saw it. One is a wolf, the other one a dog. Hmm... :)

P.P.S.: This rig is actually really cool, but it reminds me of a certain movie character... (if at least the tusks were different). But otherwise check it out, it's a lot of fun.


P.P.P.S.: I mean, I could go on and on and on...

No comments:

Post a Comment